Plantation shutters are a popular choice for window treatments due to their timeless style, versatility and durability. One of the most important decisions when choosing plantation shutters is the material they are made from. In this blog, we’ll go over the most common materials used for plantation shutters and help you determine which material is best for your or your customers requirements.
Basswood is a premium hardwood timber which due to it’s natural beauty and timeless appeal is the most durable timber product for shutters. Basswood can also span larger than other timber products. It’s lightweight composition makes it easier to span larger window openings with out bowing.
- Durability: Basswood timber shutters are more durable than other timber shutters. Basswood is a hardwood with a tight, even grain which makes it less susceptible to warping, cracking or splitting. This makes it an ideal choice for areas with high humidity or temperature changes.
- Strength: Basswood timber shutter are stronger and more stable than other timbers. This means that they can withstand more wear and tear over time, making them a better investment in the long run.
- Appearance: Basswood timber shutters have a more natural, rich appearance than Paulownia shutters. Basswood has subtle grain pattern and can be stained or painted to match any décor, while paulownia has a less distinct grain and can be more difficult to finish.
- Resistance to decay: Basswood timber is naturally resistant to decay and insect damage, which means that basswood shutters are less likely to deteriorate over time.
- Versatility: Basswood timber can be easily shaped and carved which makes it a versatile materials for shutters. This allows for more design options and customization than other timbers.
- Strength and Durability: Paulownia timber is know for it’s exceptional strength to weight ratio making it stronger and more durable than basswood. This means that paulownia shutters are less likely to warp or bend over time making them a more long lasting investment.
- Stability: Paulownia timber has a low shrinkage rate which means it is less likely to crack or split over time. This makes it an ideal choice for shutters which need to withstand changes in temperature and humidity.
- Lightweight: Paulownia timber is one of the lightest hardwoods available, which means that it is easy to work with and install. This makes it an excellent choice for large shutters as it reduces the weight load on hinges and other hardware.
- Eco- friendly: Paulownia is a fast growing tree that can reach maturity in as little as 5 years, making it a highly sustainable resource. Additionally, the timber has a low carbon footprint due to it’s fast growth and high carbon sequestration.
- Cost: while the cost of Paulownia timber may vary depending on the region, it is generally less expensive than basswood, making it a more cost- effective option for plantation shutters.
Thermo- poly: Thermo poly plantation shutters offer several advantages over traditional timber shutters including:
- Durability: Thermo poly shutters are made from a synthetic material that is resistant to moisture, humidity and temperature fluctuations. They are less likely to warp, crack or fade over time.
- Low maintenance: Thermo poly shutters are easy to clean and maintain requiring only a quick wipe down with a damp cloth or mild soap solution. Timber shutters are harder to clean and require more upkeep over time.
- Energy efficiency: Thermo poly sshutters offer better insulation than timber shutters, helping to reduce heat loss/ gain and save on energy bills.
It is important to note that some homeowners prefer the look and feel of natural timber shutters, so the decision ultimately comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of your home.
In conclusion choosing the best material for your planation shutters depends on your specific needs and preferences. Timber shutters offer natural beauty and timeless appeal buy may require more maintenance and be more expensive than other materials. Thermo-poly shutters are cost effective and resistant to moisture, but may not have the same natural look and feel as wood. Consider your budget, style preferences and maintenance requirements when choosing the material for your plantation shutters.
CWSystems is a trusted wholesale supplier in blinds, shutters, and retractable screens. With locations in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, we proudly serve customers across Australia. As plantation shutter suppliers, we offer a wide range of high-quality options to suit any style or preference. Additionally, as a leading distributor of opening roofs and venetian blinds, we provide innovative solutions for both residential and commercial spaces.
With our extensive selection of external plantation shutters and wholesale retractable screens, we offer reliable products that enhance privacy and control natural light. Partner with CWSystems, and experience exceptional service, top-notch products, and prompt delivery. Contact us today to discuss your wholesale needs.